Michael's CSU Stan

The Musings of a Graduate Student of English: Rhetoric & Composition

Birthday Party

| 1 Comment

Elijah’s Third Birthday

I had a good weekend. Full, but good.  My son turned three on Friday. We asked him what he wanted for dinner, and he said pancakes. I tried influencing him towards pizza, but he was unwavering in his decision. We ended up heading to Denny’s. He had a pancake decorated like a baseball, and my wife and I ate burgers. My burger was a “Bacon Slam Burger”, which is a burger topped with an egg and hash browns. In one of my introductory writing assignments in the English 1001 course I teach, a student had said how much they loved them, so I wanted to try it.  It was good. Not epic, but good.

That Friday was also the two year anniversary of me being laid off of my job, which was the catalyst to me going to graduate school. I feel pretty good about the situation now. It doesn’t bother me that it happened. I was unhappy in the work, and I have nearly completed a program that will qualify me for teaching composition, something that’s a better fit than management, my previous work. But I’m two years into it, and it took more or less the full two years to come to grips with it. The first year or so was pretty rough emotionally, but I’m glad it happened. I’m not sure I would have gone back to school otherwise.
We had a small party on Saturday–at least small considering the size of our family. We mostly only invited family, with a few straggler invites tossed in, and we still ended up with about 20 people. I bought my son a pretty awesome Imaginext Castle that goes with a dragon that his grandma had got him for Christmas. It has a sensor that can sense when the dragon is near, and it plays specific recordings related to the event.  Eli and his guests played with it for most of the party, which was fun to watch.  It was a good weekend, and a nice change of pace from the normal textbook grind on Saturdays.  Breaks keep you sane,  I guess. At least they keep you passing as sane, which is more or less the same thing.

Sunday I made it through 19/24 essays. It takes me too too long, mostly because I type to many comments and I’m a noob. It was more or less my whole day. I try to be helpful with the students, though, and for the most part, I enjoy reading their work. I’ll finish the last few before class tomorrow, which leaves me on track for the week, despite the party.

One Comment

1. The superior version of the Bacon Slam Burger is the Royal Red Robbin at…well, at Red Robbin. I’m not a fan of eggs in general but my husband is obsessed with this burger. The menu calls it “the aristocrat of all burgers because we crown it with a fresh fried egg.”